Monday, March 17, 2008

David Beckham passes test of his fighting spirit


The verbal confrontation in which David Beckham became embroiled with André Rocha, of Brazil, late in the Los Angeles Galaxy’s goalless draw away to FC Dallas in a friendly on Saturday may have lost something in translation but it demonstrated one undeniable fact: Beckham’s desire to play for England for the 100th time, and beyond, has not been dulled by him plying his trade in an undeniably inferior standard of football.

“I’ve always said I always want to be available for my country. I don’t want to let go of that and I still love passionately playing for my country. Nothing’s ever going to change that,” the former England captain said. “I might be playing on the other side of the world but nothing will change the passion.

“I don’t know how much longer I can play for England � it’s obviously down to other people to decide that. I always want to be available.”

Had Franco Baldini, the England general manager sent on a near 10,000-mile round trip to Pizza Hut Park to assess Beckham’s fitness, troubled himself to speak to the midfield player after the game, he may have been able to glean that information for himself

0 comments: